Hackberry portal Forum HACKberry Q&A Battery Protection / safety question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  EW CHEE GUAN 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

EW CHEE GUAN
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m not familiar with Panasonic BLF19 battery, may I know if the battery already built-in over discharge/ short circuit protection? my previous R&D prosthetics using 18650 battery, which already built-in over discharge, over charge , and over current protection.

Prosthetic hand need to be safe to use, if the BLF19 not included all this, I will suggest to put a fuse or polyswitch ( resetable fuse ) at battery board, and also low voltage detector in arduino to cut off power when battery goes low.

Regards,
    Ew

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Hi Ew,
    I couldn’t find official document that BLF19 includes safety circuit.
    However,
    -3rd party says their product which is compatible with BLF19 includes safety circuits (Overcharge/Overdischarge/Overcurrent).
    -Panasonic says “A Lithium ion battery must include a safety unit(SU). Also for safety reasons cells are not sold individually.” Please check the following document. This is the Panasonic’s way of thinking about lithium ion battery.
    https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/ACA4000/ACA4000PE3.pdf (English)
    https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/ACA4000/ACA4000PJ4.pdf (Japanese)

I considered using 18650 but BLF19 and its charger are sold all over the world. We can also easily find substitutes of BLF19 with affordable price.
    Further, the battery for consumer electronics is basically safer than individual cells. They got certifications, they’re covered with plastic case and they’re easy to use for all people.
    That’s why we decided to use BLF19.

EW CHEE GUAN
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your clarifications, since the documents already mentioned that the battery already included safety circuit, I think BLF19 should be the best choice then , thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.