Hackberry portal Forum HACKberry Report Custom PCB

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hiroshi Yamaura 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Mike LI
    Participant

Hi, I am making a custom PCB for controlling the hackberry hand. My idea is to use the IR sensor to send pluses (similar to send “Morse Code”) to control the hand’s movement. It is still in proving the concept. There will be no switch for this PCB. I will provide the PCB schematics soon.

Custom PCB

Custom PCB

Custom PCB

Mike
    from Hong Kong

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for sharing interesting idea.
    I’m very glad to see many remodels are emerging.
    Oh, you’re making wireless control robot hand.
    It can be used for not only prosthesis but also many other purposes.
    This is going to be fun!

Mike LI
    Participant

Hi Hiroshi, Here is the video in action.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Mike LI.

Mike LI
    Participant

Similar control method was applied to other device. For the following case, it is a dog feeder for one of our friend who born without left palm.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.li.121/videos/g.485331144967242/955033007869458

https://www.facebook.com/mike.li.121/videos/g.485331144967242/959887907383968

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,
    dog feeder is very interesting.
    Maybe it has nothing to do with many other amputees but very important for your friend.
    I think this kind of personal customization is the strength of digital fabrication.
    Thank you so much for making the best of HACKberry.

BTW, I’d like to ask you a question about your post #842.
    The hand movement of No.1 mode is different from that of No.2 mode.
    It seems that you can change the mode using your muscle.
    How do you change it?

Mike LI
    Participant

Hi Hiroshi,

I am using SG-105 IR sensor. My goal is using the sensor only and create pulses to trigger the actions.

Here is my explanation for selecting different mode:

Press sensor twice: Change the direction of movement (i.e. open or close fingers )
    Hold sensor : Moving the fingers
    Press sensor three times: Select mode ( The mode number will be accumulated increased, Currently I only implement the following 3 modes )
    Mode 1: Move all fingers synchronized´╝î
    Mode 2: Move thumb finger only´╝î
    Mode 3: Move index finger and others

I have though directly mapping Morse code to hand gesture mode but it seems complicate for user.

I still figure out this method whether work or not work as it requires some training. I will invite the user for testing and evaluate the method. The idea is to define protocol for human and device interaction. It also remove the selection button.

I made reference to the following website for decoding Morse code by using Arduino. I will release the source code for reference soon.

https://www.marginallyclever.com/2015/02/decoding-morse-code-arduino-microphone/

EW CHEE GUAN
    Participant

Hi Mike Li,
    Nice design, keen to see your final schematic and code. I built 2 hands for one of my recipient ( I’m E-Nable volunteer, building hands and give away for free ,for those unfortunates) He lost both left and right hand in an accident, so he can’t push the button and maybe this is more suitable for him.

Ew

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your explanation.
    I misunderstood about IR sensor.
    I thought you use IR sensor for wireless communication but you use it as muscle sensor.

We tried similar method but that did not succeed.
    Distinguishing intentional input from natural vibration noise was difficult.
    Therefore, your attempt is very interesting.
    We’re looking forward to see your report and source code.

Mike LI
    Participant

I posted the circuits and programme for sharing.
    https://123d.circuits.io/circuits/1844345-exiii-hackberry-prosthetic-hand-custom-pcb

Note:
    I cannot import Arduino Pro Micro. The circuits diagramme does not fully show the actual circuits but you should know the operation in programme code.

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Thanks, it’s easy to understand.
    It is also good for people who doesn’t have a background in electronics.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.