Hackberry portal Forum HACKberry Report Iv'e been printing the exiii hackberry.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hiroshi Yamaura 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Amadon Faul
    Participant

Hey everybody! I have been working on printing the complete exiii Hackbery hand. I am using a Reprap Prusa i3 that I have customized myself. I’m printing these parts at 200 micron in PLA. I know it’s more brittle but my printer isn’t enclosed so this is a better way to go.
    Do any of you have any recommendations/tips to save me some hassle as I go? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Non-printable parts will come probably next month when I have a bit more cash.
    I had tried printing the HbPalmBase03.stl in slices so I wouldn’t have to worry about support material, but I would have to slice it into so many pieces that it just became not worth it. So I’m currently printing that part as one complete part with support material where needed with the outside palm down towards the bed. I wanted to avoid that because it makes the finish rough, but I don’t see any other way of doing it. http://i.imgur.com/3PzPidi.png

Check out what I have done so far here!: http://imgur.com/a/y3LSG#0

You can find me on Facebook under Amadon Faul or on twitter @nodama

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: You can also reach me by phone or text at 1-701-230-0399.
    I sometimes miss emails and tweets. If you really want to contact me use that phone number. 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Amadon Faul.

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

Hi Amadon,
    Thank you for your report. Your part’s quality looks very nice.
    Since I never tried PLA, please share us the problems about using PLA if you confront them.

Do any of you have any recommendations/tips to save me some hassle as I go?

You know, Shaping PLA is hard job. For smooth movement, you can extend the clearance by editing the CAD data in advance (such as the clearance between HBejectorLever02 and HBarmMountBaseCover03).

I wanted to avoid that because it makes the finish rough, but I don’t see any other way of doing it.

I prefer this angle for better finish of surface.

However removing these support materials are tough..

Unprintability of this part is often pointed out.
    I wanted to change its shape and solve this problem but haven’t made it.

I’m trying the Meshmixer for now, which can generate original support materials and reduce the amount of them.

I’ll share the result here.

Hiroshi Yamaura
    Keymaster

This is the result of Meshmixer support.

Theses supports are very easy to remove.
    I can remove most of them by my hand. It takes 8 minutes to complete.
    Conventional UP!plus2’s support requires 20 minutes to remove and I have to use longnose pliers.

On the other hand, the surface quality of overhang is inferior as compared with conventional one.
    I have to study more on this point.

Black one uses Meshmixer support.

White one uses UP!plus2’s support

I uploaded this data here.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_O4N8Ng5KyZVHRRLVVwNjBET2c
    If you have an interest, please try to print it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.